About » Join Our Team
We are the Niagara Falls Underground Railroad Heritage Center, located in Niagara Falls, New York, and it is our mission to share the historic roles of the people of Niagara Falls in facilitating freedom for the oppressed, and we invite you to connect with our stories.
The Center is currently hiring (one) Visitor Experience Specialist. To apply, please submit a current resume/CV and cover letter addressed to Ally Spongr at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visitor Experience Specialist (Part-Time; 25 – 30 hours/week)
The Visitor Experience team is the public face of the Niagara Falls Underground Railroad Heritage Center. Team members greet and orient guests, and provide meaningful learning opportunities for the Center’s visitors through interpretive techniques, including facilitated dialogue. With a diverse portfolio of interpretive experiences, engaging public programs, services and events, we expand each visitor’s understanding of, and appreciation for, the Underground Railroad in Niagara Falls and the enduring impact of slavery in the United States.
- Working creatively with the entire Visitor Experience team, function as a historical interpreter by providing guests with accurate, interesting, and pertinent historical information about the Underground Railroad in Niagara Falls in an engaging, timely, and articulate manner.
- Engage visitors in facilitated dialogue regarding the enduring impact of slavery in modern America.
- Answer visitor questions and tailor delivery techniques to maximize impact whenever possible. Follow departmental interpretive strategies in order to effectively integrate your interpretation into the total guest learning experience.
- Successfully complete training in interpretive techniques, including facilitated dialogue.
- Create a positive learning environment for visitors of all ages and backgrounds by being hospitable, approachable, and professional in appearance and demeanor.
- Assist with retail management, social media, program development, special tours, public programs, and other projects as needed.
- Manage the reception of visitors, school and other groups, admissions, telephone and administrative reception, orientation materials, and merchandise sales.
- Set expectations and make suggestions for the visitor’s experience related to the visitor’s itinerary and agenda.
- Facilitate and direct visitor inquiries to the appropriate staff person to ensure exceptional service.
- Assist with oversight of the reception area.
- Receive and process admission and sales payments and reports.
- Record visitation data; provide daily visitation and accounting reports.
- Assist with the daily opening, closing, retail components, and security of the Heritage Center.
- Assist with the implementation of emergency procedures when necessary to ensure safety for our guests, colleagues, historic structure, exhibits, and collections.
- Possess or be pursuing a bachelor’s degree in a related field including, but not limited to, African-American studies, history, museum studies, art, public history, political science, marketing, or business.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills required.
- Must work well with a diverse audience and have a sincere interest in history.
- Must be responsible, flexible, punctual, and able to work well under pressure.
- Ability to work creatively and effectively as a member of a team is mandatory.
- Must be able to stand/walk for long periods on varying surfaces, inside and outside, and in a variety of conditions.
- Must work frequent weekends, evenings, and holidays.
The Niagara Falls Underground Railroad Heritage Commission, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Qualified candidates may submit a resume or c.v. and cover letter to Ally Spongr, Director and Curator, Niagara Falls Underground Railroad Heritage Commission, Inc.: email@example.com.
The Center offers year-round internships and volunteer opportunities. The Center currently has 5 internships available. Select internships are offered in partnership with the Niagara Falls National Heritage Area (discoverniagara.org). To apply, please submit a current resume/CV, cover letter, and internship preferred, to Ally Spongr at firstname.lastname@example.org.