UGRR Sites » Site of the St. Lawrence Hotel
At a time when many African Americans could not find adequate hotel accommodations, Christopher Smith, proprietor of the St. Lawrence Hotel, hosted Frederick Douglass here in 1848. Although Douglass had to eat at a separate table, he recommended the St. Lawrence Hotel to other abolitionists. The St. Lawrence Hotel was a smaller hotel than the flagship Cataract, Eagle, or Falls hotels. A map prepared by G.W. Johnson in 1849- 50 clearly shows the St. Lawrence Hotel it on the west side of Main Street (No. 4 on map), identifying it as one of the four main hotels in Niagara Falls.
Click Here to read more (PDF - 1MB)