UGRR Sites » Colt Block
Leander Colt represents widespread local support for helping people to get out of slavery. Colt “and lady” attended a benefit concert for George Goines in Lockport, who was raising money to buy freedom for his mother and brother. After Colt constructed this limestone commercial block in 1855, he rented part of the building to George Hackstaff, editor of the Niagara Herald, who had antislavery sympathies.
to read more (PDF - 1MB)