UGRR Sites » Colt House
The Colt family represents widespread local sympathy for enslaved people. They were founding members of the Congregational Church in Suspension Bridge, which was sympathetic to abolitionism, and in 1855, Leander Colt “and lady” attended a benefit concert in Lockport to raise money to buy George Goines’ brother and mother out of slavery. The house is architecturally significant, and is one of the few surviving structures in the City associated with the abolitionism or the Underground Railroad.
Click Here to read more (PDF - 1MB)