UGRR Sites » First Congregational Church and Society of Niagara City
The First Congregational Church and Society of Niagara City was constructed in 1855-56, and located just a block away from the Suspension Bridge. Founding members struggled to decide between Congregational and Presbyterian incorporation; the former institution was noted for its abolitionist sympathies, while the latter often opposed abolitionism and allowed slaveholders as members. As the membership debated these ideals, efforts to unify the congregations failed, and the anti-abolitionist congregants left to form a separate church. Noted abolitionist members of the Congregational Church included William H. Childs and Minister Benjamin F. Bradford.
Click Here to read more (PDF - 2MB)