UGRR Sites » Site of the Augustus Porter House
Augustus S. Porter and his brother Peter B. Porter were the first private European American owners of land in Niagara Falls. As part of Porter, Barton, and Company, they established ports in Niagara Falls, Lewiston, and Black Rock (now part of Buffalo). Augustus Porter built a house in Niagara Falls in 1808. After the British burned it in 1813, he rebuilt it on the same site in 1818. Before he moved to Niagara Falls, Augustus Porter owned at least one person in slavery in Canandaigua, New York. He reputedly brought the first African American family to Niagara Falls, Harry and Kate Wood. In the 1820 census, the Wood family and the Abraham Thompson family, all free people of color, lived near the Porter family. The Porter family home was demolished in the 1920s.
Click Here to read more (PDF - 1MB)