UGRR Sites » Lewiston Landing
Many freedom seekers used the ferry at Lewiston or the Lewiston Suspension Bridge (from its construction in 1851 to its destruction in 1864) to cross into freedom in Canada. Steamboats also stopped here six days a week, making a regular circuit of both U.S. and Canadian ports on Lake Ontario. U.S. and Canadian captains willingly picked up people escaping from slavery at the Lewiston landing and took them to Toronto and Kingston. Today, the area near the historic landing and suspension bridge is marked by a bronze, larger-than-life statue, designed by sculptor Susan Geissler and erected in 2009 to commemorate Margaret Goff Clark’s Freedom Crossing (1969).